A Look Back at Bicycle Advocacy Efforts in Minnesota
As a Minnesota bike accident attorney and fellow cyclist, I take great strides to fill my time with advocacy efforts. Not only do I choose to advocate on behalf of my clients, but also for the Minnesota cycling community.
Last year, 2019, was a year to remember for myself and my firm, Brazil Law Group. I helped many of our valued clients recover during the aftermath of life-changing accidents. I also dove deeper into my firm’s mission of helping make Minneapolis, and the state as a whole, a safer place for all cyclists.
Dan’s 2019 Highlights
Some notable highlights for 2019 include:
- Bike Week sponsorship: My firm and I continued our sponsorship of Bike Week, which commenced in May of 2019. This included spending the day at one of Our Streets Minneapolis’ Bike to Work Day pit stops, where hundreds of cyclists took to the streets to commute to work on two wheels. We had a great time connecting with those who stopped by and gave away some sweet cyclist swag and snacks.
- Phantom vehicle claim presentation: I spoke to cyclists at the local bicycle shop and coffee bar, Angry Catfish, about phantom vehicle claims. The goal was to educate cyclists on what to do should the car or driver involved in their bicycle accident leave the scene without identifying themselves.
- Greenway Glow sponsorship: My firm was proud to sponsor the Greenway Glow, a night-time arts festival and bike ride on the Midtown Greenway in Minneapolis. The effort raises funds for the Greenway, to ensure it remains a safe and beautiful place to bike.
- Midtown Greenway coalition member: Speaking of the Greenway, my firm became a part of the Midtown Greenway Coalition, a coalition of neighborhoods, organizations, and individuals who love and respect the Midtown Greenway and want to protect it.
- Move to the heart of the cycling community: My firm moved to Uptown Minneapolis to be in the heart of the cycling community, making it easier to serve our clients and advocate on behalf of cyclists in Minneapolis.
- Improved office bike culture: To expand the cycling culture inside the office, my firm purchased business bikes to use for commuting and cycling education.
- Bike shop visits: My staff and I visited many local friends and cyclists at their shops throughout Minneapolis to continue to build on our connections and to broaden our support in the community. Visits included stops at including Perennial Cycle, Farmstead Bike Shop, Erik’s Bike Board Ski, The Hub Bike Co-op, Freewheel Bike and more.
You’ll also find several educational and advocacy-focused pieces on the Our Streets Minneapolis blog, including:
- How to Find a Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Crashes: Could Our Systems Be At Fault?
- Understanding Your Rights After a Bike Crash in Minnesota
- What to Do If a Person Driving Hits You While You’re Biking
Last Year Was Only the Beginning
Although 2019 was a busy year, it was only the beginning. we hope to boost our advocacy efforts for our clients and our community, starting with our partnership with Bike Law.
Interested in learning more? Feel free to drop me a message to learn more about me and my Minneapolis law firm, Brazil Law Group.
Dan Brazil is a seasoned personal injury and Minneapolis bicycle crash attorney. Located in Uptown, Minneapolis, he serves bicyclists throughout Minnesota who has suffered injuries in bike crashes.
Dan is not only the founder and principal attorney of Brazil Law Group; he is also an avid biker. A self-proclaimed “all-arounder,” Dan commutes via bike (in nicer weather!), mountain bikes, runs trails, rock climbs, practices yoga, and even surfs.