Bike Law Bryan tells us why.
The October 2014 issue of Bicycling Magazine named its 50 “Best Bike Cities.” The highest-ranked Michigan city went to Grand Rapids (#41). The publication explained that “one reason” Grand Rapids was selected was:
“In addition to 35 miles of new on street facilities between 2012 and 2013, there is a booming fat-bike racing scene, including the Farmer’s Fat-Bike Race, where the first place trophy is a snow shovel. Improvement to the Grand Rapids urban cycling infrastructure and Farm Team Racing’s Farmer’s Fat-Bike Race certainly make Grand Rapids a better place for cyclists.”
However, there is so much more that cyclists should be excited about when it comes to Grand Rapids.
Grand Rapids and its surrounding areas have so much to offer cyclists, including:
● Numerous scenic bicycle tours (such as the MSU Gran Fondo and the 100 Grand Bicycle Tour);
● Numerous racing teams, including: Leadout Racing, the Rapid Wheelmen, Bissell-ABG-Giant Cycling, Real Women Tri, OAM NOW/Athletic Mentors, Freewheeler Racing, and Louis Benton Racing;
● Great local bike shops, such as Freewheeler Bike Shop, Grand Rapids Bicycle Company, Central District Cyclery, West Michigan Bike & Fitness, Village Bike & Fitness, Alger Bikes, Speed Merchants Bike Shop, and Velo City Cycles;
● Kisscross – unsanctioned cyclocross races typically held on Sundays at municipal parks throughout the months of September, October, and November;
● Barry Roubaix Gravel Road Race (the largest gravel road race in the country);
● Grattan Cycling Race Series – unsanctioned bike races held at the Grattan Raceway on Wednesday nights, beginning in May and continuing through the end of August;
● Local bike manufacturers – 616 Bicycle Fabrication (frames and hubs) and Velocity (wheels);
● Cannonsburg – a local ski area used for mountain biking and host to numerous races, including Battle at the Burg;
● USA Cycling sanctioned races – Herman Miller Brickyard Criterium and Gaslight Criterium;
● Cycling Photographer Extraordinaire – Jack Kunnen;
● Numerous recurring group rides – including a Tuesday Night Dirt Road Ride (starting in the Fall and leaving from Townsend Park) and Pedal GR (a ride organized by the Rapid Wheelmen Bicycle Club, which leaves from Founder’s Brewery Company on Wednesday nights).
Congratulations, Grand Rapids Cycling Community! Your inclusion in Bicycling Magazine’s List of Best Bicycle Cities is well-deserved.